Want to learn more about trucking careers? Get started to see if you qualify.
Do you still have questions? Have a recruiter contact you.
DRIVE FOR PRIME
Thank you for your interest in driving for Prime. Below are Prime’s standards for hiring the best and safest drivers on the road today. If you have questions about any of Prime’s requirements for truck driving, please contact a recruiter.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS FOR TRUCK DRIVERS
All applicants must meet the following minimum qualifications for truck driving.
- Applicants must be at least 21 years old
- Applicants must have a valid CDL from the state that they declare to be their point of permanent domicile
- Applicants must have a valid driver’s license and meet the Homeland Security/Transportation Administration requirements
- Applicants must be able to obtain a United States passport, TWIC card, and hazmat endorsement
- Applicants must provide no less than 10 years of driving work history, non-driving work history for the past 5 years (you will need this at orientation to complete paperwork)
- Previous employers and references will be checked and must be verifiable
- Applicants must show a stable work history and good references (for experienced drivers no more than 3 employers in last year)
- Applicants must have an acceptable motor vehicle record
- No abandoned trucks at previous employers
- Applicants must successfully complete the starting classes for contractors or orientation for employees
MEDICAL QUALIFICATIONS FOR TRUCK DRIVERS
All applicants must be able to pass a physical that complies with standards issued by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. The physical ensures that you are healthy enough to safely operate a commercial motor vehicle to keep our roads safe for everyone.
- Blood pressure: 140/90 or lower
- Eyesight: 20/40 or better in each eye (with corrective lenses if needed)
- Hearing: Must be able to hear a forced whisper at 6 feet
- Diabetes: Sugar levels must be well controlled with an A1c level of 10 or less. If you are on insulin, you will need form MCSA-5870 which can be found on the FMCSA website.
- Heart-related issues: You will need cardiology clearance and possibly recent stress test or echocardiogram results.
Click here for more information about FMCSA health requirements. On this page, you’ll find frequently asked questions and special information for drivers with diabetes and other conditions.
All applicants must present the following documents before entering Prime’s training program or joining Prime as a driver.
Potential drivers must present one or more of the following documents:
- United States passport
- State-certified copy of birth certificate
- INS paperwork that shows US citizenship or that permanent residence has been established and is current
An affirmative answer to questions regarding criminal record will not automatically result in the denial of employment. An applicant’s criminal record will be evaluated based on the job for which the applicant has applied.